The library system consists of Bird Library (Social Sciences and Humanities) and various branch libraries, including Carnegie Library. Visit the SU Library website.
Science and Technology Librarian: Emily Hart, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Library Technician: Bill Vogel, email email@example.com
Math department Faculty Liaison to the Library: William Wylie, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Services for Faculty, Graduate Students, Post-docs
- Services for Students
- E-book Packages
- Borrowing Privileges
- Interlibrary Loan
- Article and book delivery services
- Past Exams Online
- Course Reserve Material
- Assistance Finding Resources
- TI Graphing Calculators
- Book Purchase Requests
Services for Faculty, Graduate Students, Post-docs
- Literature searches (in support of literature reviews & grant proposals)
- Research metrics (for tenure submission, or research profile development)
- Citation management
- Tools & strategies for supporting research workflow
- Purchase resources in support of courses & research
- Grant searches
- Identifying high quality journals for publication
- Open access & copyright questions
Services for Students
Research appointments and instruction sessions on the following topics:
- Information literacy (information evaluation)
- Advanced database searching skills
- Citation management
- Research workflow management
- SIAM E-books
- Taylor & Francis E-books (include CRC Press front lists for 2018 & 2019)
- Oxford Handbooks Online
- Oxford Scholarship Online – complete collection
- IEEE Xplore – upgraded to include Wiley and MIT Press e-books
- Springer E-books
Graduate students may take books out for 1 year. Books may be renewed online or in-person if no other person has filed a request. Any book may be recalled from another patron for your use. Most course reserve materials circulate for 2 hours.
Materials needed for research but not owned by the Library may be borrowed from another institution. This service is initiated online through our ILLIAD system. There is no cost to use this service.
Article and book delivery services
The SU Library offers Article To Go delivery service for faculty and graduate students.
Past Exams Online
Course Reserve Material
Usually only one copy of the course textbooks is available in the library on the Reserve shelves in Carnegie Library. (You will still need to purchase course textbooks; the library only has at most one or two copies of course texts which may be checked out for only 2 hours.) Ask for these books at the circulation desk.
The Online guides with links to databases provide quick access to databases and other information. See Mathematics Research guide and Mathematics Education research guide. Please contact the mathematics librarian Emily Hart for an individual consultation.
Assistance Finding Resources
Anytime you don’t find what you want, please email Emily Hart or Bill Vogel or visit us in the library during day-time hours. Almost any research paper or book can be located locally or via ILLIAD (InterLibrary Loan). Many journals are subscribed to in electronic form only. Please contact us if you are not finding what you need.
The database Dissertations and Theses contains the full-text of many Syracuse University dissertations.
TI Graphing Calculators
TI-83 and TI-84 Graphing calculators are available for a 3 hours loan. Request these at the Carnegie Library circulation desk.
Book Purchase Requests
Requests to purchase books for the library may be given to the Librarian. Most all book requests are purchased and all suggestions are encouraged.
Carnegie Library has compasses and protractors available for borrowing. Scanners are attached to most workstations.